Sunday, May 14, 2006





WHAT I LOVE ABOUT BEING PREGNANT.....

I am at the point in my pregnancy where it is getting difficult to remember that there have been things about this pregnancy that I have really loved. Because my first pregnancy was a physical and mental challenge for me, I have been thankful for the ability to hold some lovely aspects of carrying this little girl in my belly. I have also been aware from the time I knew I was pregnant that this would be my last pregnancy. It has been important to me to hold a space for warm and cherished memories and to not get lost in all the logistics. It has been important for me to be able to say "thank you".


  • I have enjoyed my body this pregnancy. I carry all my weight in my breasts and belly. The rest of me stays relatively the same. For quite some time now, I have been very round and full - I have felt much like a lush piece of ripe fruit, ready to burst forth with deep color, juiciness, and flavor. At times, I have actually felt very sexy. My confidence and love of this pregnant body enabled me to allow myself to be photographed by Jennifer Loomis who is gifted in showcasing the beauty of a pregnant belly. She is an artist and I was privileged to be her clay.
  • While Afro Boy moved around quite a bit, his sister has been even more active - or I am able to feel her move more because I am more stretched out! Whatever the reason, this child reminds me throughout the day that she is here and growing. Sometimes when she moves I can feel the movement over the entire expanse of my womb.
  • I have felt more connected to the world during this pregnancy. I mean this in a way that sounds cliche to me, but I have felt more earthy, like an earth mama. I believe that this has happened in part because I am more relaxed this pregnancy. I have also wondered from time to time if it has anything to do with carrying a girl. Whatever the reason, it has allowed me to feel more empowered during this pregnancy.
  • While I don't necessarily enjoy having my sleep interrupted by pain, gas, hunger and other pregnancy symptoms, I do enjoy the opportunity to watch a good old movie, uninterrupted. Apparently this can only be done at the wee hours of the morning! Currently, one of my favorites Desk Set, is on AMC.
  • Related to the above, I enjoy the transition from night morning to real morning. Night morning is the time of day from midnight to 4 or 5. It is the time when morning seems a little more lonely to me. Sometimes it even feels a little scary. Real morning is marked by the song of the first bird whose day has begun. With that first welcoming chirp cold, isolated night morning transitions into the freshness of a day that is yet to be revealed. Unless you happen to be awake at the right time, you will miss that first chirp that heralds the new day. (this can also be experienced while nursing a newborn, however I easily miss it as I am often nodding off while nursing!)
  • Finally up until this point of my pregnancy, I enjoy wondering about who this soul growing inside me is - what will she look like? who will she look like? will she be a sleeper? etc..... Thinking about who she may or may not be is a great deal of fun up until the last four weeks. At this point, I am ready and eager to meet her and losing my patience while I wait. But then I suspect that the last month of pregnancy is nature's way of ensuring that women do not miss being pregnant!



Happy Mother's Day to all women who nurture life in one way or another.

1 Comments:

At May 17, 2006 11:37 AM, Blogger Jennifer Garrison Brownell said...

this is lovely!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home