Monday, May 29, 2006

Land of the Free....

So it's Memorial Day and I feel obligated to say something about that. Therein lies the problem for me and Memorial Day - it feels like an obligation - any sentiment I feel does not come from an authentic place, but a place of "I should". At this time of year I hear at least one story of a fallen war hero that ends in a call to feel thanks to this unknown soul for the freedom that I enjoy - in other words that I owe my freedoms to this person and all soldiers who have fallen.

Of course these stories pull at my heart, as do the stories of their families. But to thank them feels false to me. I do not feel that I owe them my "freedoms". I think to try an muster up that feeling is disprespectful to veterans and families of fallen soldiers. I realize that saying so is probably an unpopular sentiment that could land me on some Homeland Security list. I am aware that men and women who have fought in wars would say that it is because of their efforts that I am able to say something that is unpopular without repercussion.

But I am also aware that I owe all that is in my life to God and God's grace. I give thanks and praise to Him. I am grateful to live in this country and for all the freedoms I enjoy. I am grateful for the ways that God has used soldiers of all types to ensure those freedoms. Some of those soldiers have fought with arms and others with their voices, and many with their lives. Whatever their medium, I know that whatever good they accomplished came as a result of God's hand trying to repair the follies of humanity. Thanks be to God.

2 Comments:

At June 03, 2006 8:09 AM, Blogger Lorraine said...

Don't worry. You're probably already on the Homeland Security list.

 
At June 04, 2006 7:31 PM, Blogger Hapamama said...

heh, heh - I hope so, otherwise I'm not doing something right!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home